Intersections—where drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists meet, traveling in four different directions and all at different speeds. There are plenty of lights, signals, signs, arrows, lanes, and more to guide everyone in safely crossing, but still, intersections remain among the most dangerous places on our Albuquerque roadways and one of the most common areas for accidents and fatalities to occur.
Data taken by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that from 2014-2018 there were 180 intersection crash fatalities in Bernalillo county alone.
The Mid-Region Council of Governments’ crash data more specifically identifies the top five most dangerous intersections in Albuquerque from 2011-2015:
1 Paseo Del Norte & Coors Blvd
Total Crashes: 480
Total Fatal and Injury Crashes: 137
2 Paseo Del Norte & Jefferson Street
Total Crashes: 446
Total Fatal and Injury Crashes: 105
3 Montaño & Coors Blvd
Total Crashes: 419
Total Fatal and Injury Crashes: 111
4 Montgomery & San Mateo
Total Crashes: 403
Total Fatal and Injury Crashes: 100
5 Central & Coors Blvd
Total Crashes: 382
Total Fatal and Injury Crashes: 119
Take a moment to think: in a single day, how many of these intersections, or intersections in general, do you drive through? Odds are, quite a few. So, what can you do to ensure your safety as well as the safety of others? Follow these tips:
● Look out for pedestrians and cyclists on sidewalks, walkways, and bike lanes before turning or accelerating.
● Even if you have the right-of-way, look out for cross traffic.
● Don’t assume drivers will stop at a red light. Wait at least three seconds after the light turns green to go.
● Stop before turning right. Make sure the vehicle ahead of you clears and check for pedestrians and cyclists.
● Never change lanes in an intersection.
● If the lights are out at an intersection, proceed with extreme caution and treat it as a four-way stop.
● Use the appropriate turn signals.
● Never follow too closely. Rear-end accidents are the most common type of accident.
Practice intersection safety at all times to keep everyone on the road safe, and if you’ve been injured in an intersection accident or any other type of car crash, call (505) 582-2157 and let the Albuquerque car accident lawyers at The Dinelli Law Firm fight for you!